You may be eligible for four types of financial aid: grants, scholarships, loans, and work-study. To be eligible for many of these funds, you need to file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
The 2017-18 FAFSA will be available to complete beginning October 1, 2016. The information below will be updated once the 2017-18 FAFSA is available.
The IRS Data Retrieval Tool (IRS DRT) electronically transfers your federal tax return information into your FAFSA.
If you use the IRS DRT and don’t change any of the retrieved information in your FAFSA, you won’t need to provide tax transcripts if you’re selected for verification.
- EASY: Transfer info with the click of a button.
- FAST: Instantly retrieve your information.
- ACCURATE: Correctly fill in data fields and reduce chances of getting selected for verification.
- Log in to your current FAFSA, or start a new FAFSA at www.fafsa.gov.
- In the finances section of the FAFSA, you will see a “Link to IRS” button if you are eligible to use the IRS DRT.
- Click the “Link to IRS” button and log in with the IRS to retrieve your tax return information.
- Review your tax return information, and see the tax data that will be transferred into your FAFSA.
- Check the “Transfer My Tax Information into the FAFSA” box, and click the “Transfer Now” button.
- Review your federal tax return information that has been transferred into the data fields on your FAFSA.
During the application process, you may be asked to provide private information in order to process your financial aid and scholarships. Although you are not legally required to provide this information, this information is required to complete the financial aid application process.
Access to your information will be limited KU employees with a legitimate educational interest. This information may also be shared with required external agencies to process your financial aid application. This information will not be shared with other entities unless you submit written authorization to release the information to other third parties.
You may also view the KU Student Records Policy.