Making KU affordable
  • Home
  • Financial Aid
  • Grants


What are grants?

Grants are based on financial need and generally do not need to be repaid. They may come from federal, state, or university sources.

Federal and state grants are typically awarded only to undergraduate students. University grants may be awarded to undergraduates and graduate/professional/law students.

Information provided on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) determines eligibility for the Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG), Teacher Education Assistance for College, Kansas Comprehensive Grant, and KU grant programs.

If you're eligible for a Federal Pell Grant, you may also qualify for KU's Pell Advantage, which covers undergraduate tuition and campus fees (excluding course fees) using a combination of federal, state and university sources.


To be considered for limited-fund, need-based grants, you must meet the following minimum eligibility requirements (individual programs may have additional eligibility requirements):

  • File the FAFSA at File by December 1 to be considered for limited-fund programs.
  • Be an undergraduate student who has never earned a bachelor's degree.
  • Be enrolled as a degree-seeking student. Financial aid is generally not available for non-degree seeking students (PDF) or for continuing education coursework.

Some KU grants may have additional eligibility requirements.


Although award amounts may differ from year to year for each grant program, the total amount of grant aid awarded rarely covers a student's total cost of attendance. A student's estimated cost of attendance includes expenses for tuition, fees, room, board, books, transportation, and personal expenses for the academic year. Students with good academic standing and high financial need may also qualify for need-based scholarships. In addition, many students consider self-help assistance, such as Federal Work-Study or student loans.

Note: See eligibility for information regarding circumstances that may cause your aid to be adjusted or canceled. If you withdraw from classes, you may be required to repay some or all of your aid. Review Withdrawing and/or Dropping classes (PDF) for details.


One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
KU Today