Verification is a process mandated by the U.S. Department of Education to ensure information provided on your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is accurate. When students complete the FAFSA, the U.S. Department of Education may select the FAFSA for verification. If you are selected for verification the school is required to collect specific documents from you.
If your application is selected for verification, you will receive a notification at your registered KU email address. You will be instructed to go to verification.ku.edu to complete and upload the required documents. Please complete and submit the verification worksheet and your 2015 IRS Tax Return Transcript (not required if student/spouse used the IRS Data Retrieval Tool on the FAFSA and did not make any changes to the data). If you are a dependent student, you will need to provide your parents' or guardians’ 2015 IRS Tax Return Transcript (not required if parent(s’) used the IRS Data Retrieval Tool on the FAFSA and did not make any changes to the data).
Verification may take up to four weeks after Financial Aid & Scholarships (FAS) receives all required documentation. You will not be awarded federal, state, or institutional financial aid until FAS has received and processed all required information and your financial aid file is complete. If you wish to be considered for limited-funded aid programs, the deadline for COMPLETING the verification process for the 2017-18 academic year is March 31, 2017. For awarding of loans, all verification documents for the 2017-18 academic year must be submitted by May 1, 2018 (prior to the end of the Spring 2018 term). Students who think they will qualify for Pell Grants should contact FAS if submitting documents after May 1, 2018. Verification file review may take up to four weeks.
IRS Data Retrieval Tool Outage
The IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) will be unavailable for an undetermined amount of time – though the IRS anticipates it will be unavailable for several weeks. This outage primarily effects students who are trying to file their FAFSA and students attempting to complete verification.Completing Verification
- If you're attempting to complete verification, you cannot currently use the IRS DRT.
- Instead you must request a tax transcript from the IRS:
- View/print the tax transcript
- Select “Tax Return Transcript” and in the tax year field select “2015”
- Click “Continue”
- Enter filer’s SSN, email, filing status, account numbers for loan or credit card & mobile phone
- Click “Get Transcript ONLINE”
- Go to irs.gov
- By phone
- Call 1-800-908-9946
- Follow prompts to enter SSN and street address numbers used on tax return
- Select option 2 to request IRS tax return transcript and enter “2015”
- Paper tax return transcript will be received within 5-10 days from time of the request
- By paper
- Download IRS Form 4506-T at https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506t.pdf
- Line 3: enter filer’s street address and zip code
- Line 5: opt to have tax return transcript sent to yourself
- Line 6: enter 2015
- Filer must sign and date the form and enter telephone number
- Mail or fax the completed IRS form 4506-T to address or fax number on page 2 of the form
- Transcript should be received within 5-10 days
- Upload the transcript to verification.ku.edu