Hixson Opportunity Award
For many of the great successes of the world, the background they came from was their great challenge. I'm trying to find those people. Those who may not have the highest grade point or a perfect family background, but who can be successful. These are the ones who will lend the helping hands in the future.
- Christina Hixson-
The Hixson Opportunity Award was established to provide the opportunity for students to attend the University of Kansas who would otherwise not be able to attend.
You are ready to go to college and have chosen the University of Kansas. Maybe you are the child of a parent who did not go to college, you do not think you can afford to go to KU, or you have other obstacles in your path to a college education. If so, there is a scholarship program just for you. It will help you understand how to make the transition from high school to college, give you a scholarship for four years, and help you make life-long connections with faculty, staff, and fellow students.
- Students must have faced personal challenges and/or financial hardship.
- Students must be residents of Kansas and current high school seniors.
- Students must be admissible to the University of Kansas.
- Students must be entering freshman for the upcoming fall term at KU.
- Students must show financial need as determined by the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- Students whose parent(s)/guardian(s) did not earn a 4-year college degree (first generation) will receive priority consideration.
- Submit the Hixson Scholars application by February 1. Each application should include:
- The application cover page.
- A letter of recommendation from the student's guidance counselor, teacher, or community leader.
- An essay describing the applicant's potential to succeed and any personal challenges s/he faced that may hinder achieving these goals.
- Complete the University of Kansas admission application process for the upcoming fall term by February 1.
- Submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at fafsa.gov no later than March 1 each year. If you are unable to use completed income tax information, FAFSA allows you to estimate income and submit corrections, if needed, after taxes are filed.
The goal of the Hixson Opportunity Award is to engage students in existing programs on campus which will help them navigate their college experience, including:
- Student support programs such as HAWK Link and Supportive Educational Services (SES)
- Hixson Scholars Seminar as part of University 101
- Hixson Scholars Peer Mentoring
- Community Service
- Hixson Scholars are required to live on-campus during their freshmen year.
- Available to entering freshmen who wish to study any major offered at the University of Kansas.
- Awards are $5,250 per year, renewable for a total of four years.
- Ten new award recipients will be selected per year.
- Recipients will be announced by April 1 of each year.