Making KU affordable
  • Home
  • Financial Aid
  • How to apply
  • Special Situations

Special Situations

My current financial situation was not accurately reflected on the FAFSA. Is there anything I can do to be reconsidered for additional aid?
In some cases, adjustments can be made. You may request a re-evaluation of your financial aid file by completing a Special Circumstance Re-evaluation Request for either FAFSA changes or Expense increases. Contact your Financial Aid & Scholarships Counselor for more information.
How can I become a legal resident of Kansas?
See the Registrar's residency information.
Can I use my financial aid to study abroad?
In most cases financial aid can be utilized for studying abroad. Please contact your Financial Aid & Scholarships Counselor to discuss your eligibility.
I have already completed my first bachelor's degree and I'm taking classes toward my next bachelor's degree - can I receive financial aid?
Yes, you may be eligible for financial aid. However, some aid programs are only available to students seeking their first bachelor's degree. Please review our Financial Aid Programs at a Glance information sheet for the year you're requesting the adjustment. Additionally, review our Satisfactory Academic Progress policy regarding limits on hours for second degrees.
Can I receive financial aid if I am not degree-seeking?
Typically, you must be a degree-seeking student to receive federal financial aid. Please review our Nondegree-seeking students(PDF) publication for exceptions. Contact us if you feel you qualify for aid based on at least one of the circumstances listed in this publication.
I am transferring to/from KU. What do I need to do in order to get financial aid at my new institution?
Please review our information on Transferring from One School to Another (PDF) for the year in which you are interested in transferring.
Am I allowed to receive financial aid from more than one institution at the same time?
No. Please contact us to schedule an appointment with a Financial Aid Counselor if you are interested in receiving aid from KU for classes that you plan to take at another institution.
Are there special guidelines regarding the treatment of federal aid for military personnel who are activated or reassigned?
The U.S. Department of Education has established guidelines regarding the treatment of military personnel who are activated or reassigned for a period of more than 30 days. For more information on these guidelines see the National Association of Student Financial Aid Administrator's Web site.

One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
KU Today